5 Tips for Eating Healthy at WorkApril 26, 2016
Sure, your food plan is typically healthy when your fridge at home is stocked full of healthy and delicious snacks throughout the day. But, at work it’s a different story! What happens when you forget your lunch at home, don’t have time to pack one or are just plan unprepared when you get into the office? All bets are off. Eating healthy at work can be tough, as it takes a lot of prep time and organization to line up everything just right so you have access to the healthy food and snacks when you need them. And, depending on where your office is and what your company provides, access to healthy food can be few and far between. Don’t run to the nearest fast food place! We’ve got you covered in today’s blog with some tips to help you eat healthy at work if you’re not one of the lucky ones with a Berkshire Natural Vending Machine or Healthy Office Snack Delivery!
- Eat Breakfast: When you’re rushing out the door in the morning, it can be tempting to run out and grab something on the way or once you get in to the office, like the open box of donuts on the counter. To ward off a growling stomach an hour later, grab something on the way. Whether it’s a banana, apple, shake, toast or whatever works for your morning, eating SOMETHING will set the stage for the rest of the day and keep you on track. We all know a donut in the morning will just lead to a crash later on and sugar cravings throughout the rest of the day. Start out strong!
- Create a Stash: You may not want to store snacks in your shared office fridge long term, but set aside space in your desk to stock up on healthy snacks so they’ll be there when you need it. Nuts, peanut butter, bars, dried fruit, trail mix, etc. Use this as a base to snack on so you have an emergency supply when you need it!
- Think About Your Drinks: Eating healthy includes drinking healthy as well. Any non-alcoholic fluid will hydrate you including coffee. The less sugar in the drink the better as the healthfulness of a beverage diminishes proportionally to the amount of sugar or high fructose corn syrup in it. Buy a special water bottle to use just in the office so you can hydrate throughout the day. Or a special mug for your tea. Avoid grabbing a soda in the afternoon to keep your caffeine levels high and make sure you’re fueling your body with the hydration it needs.
- Take a Break: Craving a candy bar while you’re on the 5th straight hour staring at your computer screen? Might be time to take a break and go for a nice little walk to clear your mind. Junk food isn’t the answer. Depending on your office, grab a friend for a walk, head to the gym for a quick workout or just a lap around the office will do. If you’re still craving that candy bar….well then dive into your emergency stash of healthy snacks and go from there! Maybe a healthy trail mix with some chocolate mixed in will do the trick!
- Be Prepared: We can’t create a list like this and not include the obvious. If you want to eat healthy at work, all it takes is a little bit of preparation. Pack up a lunch every day – brown bagging it is the number one solution to eating healthy at work! It doesn’t need to be complicated. A few slices of turkey, a hard boiled egg, a slice of cheese, some fruit, carrots, etc. That 5 minutes at home the night before or morning of will really make a difference. If you incorporate it into your regular routine, it will definitely pay off!
Eating healthy in the office can be tough, but it just takes a few simple steps to line yourself up for success. And, if you want to learn more about how Berkshire Natural provides healthy snacks to workplaces throughout New England, contact us today at 413-923-8092 or email@example.com.Tags: beverage, employee wellness, employees, healthy eating, healthy snacks, healthy vending, office snacks, productivity, products, vending, wellness, workplace, workplace productivity, workplace wellness, workplacewellness